Monday, August 1, 2011

Welcome to Bummersville... Population Me

My body bitch slapped me today... Let me give you a little background information.

This weekend I spent at least 12 hours in a car. I didn't drink enough water. I drank too many beers. I ate at Wendy's twice and McDonalds once. I got 6 hours of sleep Friday night, and 5 hours of sleep Saturday night. I ran 6 miles on Saturday and did not stretch before or after. (PS - my knees KILLED after that run. We went to the mall and ran errands and all I wanted to do was lay down and ice my knees, which I've never had to do before).


What am I thinking? I think I might deserve what my body handed me today.

I set out on for my five miler and was feeling suprisingly good. Then about a half mile in it happened. My left leg seized up from my outer hip all the way down to my knee. I stopped, stretched, walked about a tenth of a mile, and tried again. Same. frickin. thing. This is what my 'repeats' consisted of. All while I tried to reason with myself and not freak out.

I came home, ate a banana (helps with cramping right?), stretched, started hydrating, took a warm bath, lathered up with Flexall, and now I'm waiting. Any ideas or advice? I'm hoping it's just cramps/stiffness due to poor stretching and nutrition. I'm going to get a good night's sleep and try my five tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really tight IT band - you should definitely keep hydrating, but try to foam roll both legs along the outer-thigh, from hip to knee - if you don't have a foam roller (at home or at the gym - most gyms have one) try a tennis ball...something firm enough to give your muscle a deep tissue touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Danielle...sounds like IT maybe? But could be cramping...I would definitely hydrate as much as possible and maybe get some electrolytes in as well! Sounds like you are doing all the right things though! Hoping for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with DEM. I had IT band issues a few months back and this is how I felt. I hate the foam roller but it really does help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @betybliss
    thank you guys, i'm using the tennis ball and got some electrolytes too. took it easy with 2.5 miles this am and didn't have any pain!

    ReplyDelete