Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Vegetable Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze

Brad and I found this recipe in Food Network Magazine. Well, he mostly found it, I would have skipped over it. That's my problem with finding recipes and cooking... I'm plain. I like plain stuff. I would have skipped this because of the balsamic glaze. But anyways, Brad saw it, said we should try it, and now it's one of our favorite things to eat. My mom and dad were here this weekend and they requested it (really it's that good!). So I thought I'd share with you guys.

Preheat the oven to 425. Finely dice 1 small zuchinni, 1 yellow bell pepper and 1 red bell pepper. Make a paste with 5 cloves of garlic mixed with a little salt (I use sea salt since it's more coarse). Add the veggies and paste to about 2 tbsp of EVOO in a skilled on high heat. Saute the veggies until they're almost soft (about 5 minutes). You can season them with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Isn't it pretty? I feel like a real cook when I make this! While the veggies are cooking, chop up some fresh parsley (about 1/4 cup) and fresh thyme (1 tablespoon). Side note:  We rarely use the thyme. We have to go to Earth Fare to get it and you use so little. In a separate bowl mix the herbs with an egg and whisk.

After the veggies are cooked, remove them from heat so they can cool.

Next the recipe calls for 1.5 lbs turkey meat. We've learned to use 2 full pounds (because the store has it pre-packaged in lbs and we like left overs). Add the turkey, 1/2 cup shredded parmesan or romano cheese, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs, it's with the stuffing). Mix all of this in a bowl with the cooled veggies.

You're probably gonna need to use your hands. After it's well mixed I separate it into two loaf pans that have been sprayed with Pam. Forgetting to add the Pam can be bad. Trust me.

Next you mix 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes together in a bowl and paint it over the top. I don't use it all and save the rest for sauce. Then put in the oven to cook for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes.


 When you're finished it'll look like this:
It takes a little time to prepare, but trust me it's worth it!! I also may or may not have set my oven on fire when my inlaws were here and I made this. Not embarrasing at all.

2 comments:

  1. this seriously sounds amazing! it is going to have to be a "must try soon!" for me :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete