Saturday, May 14, 2011

Asheville Citizen Times Half Marathon

ACT Website

So as I mentioned before, I have officially signed up for the ACT Half Marathon. We moved to Asheville during the Summer of 2009, and I considered doing this race in 2009 and 2010. Both years I was scheduled to work, so I made excuses and didn't sign up. I am scheduled to work this weekend, but I'm just taking a leap of faith that I can somehow get out of it. I'm not going to let work be my excuse. Also, husband pointed out that if I'm going to do this, why not do one close to home?

If you're wondering what the title of my blog refers to... This is it. Two times I have put myself through months of training for two different half marathons. Round one went down my first year of pharmacy school. We had a wellness project and for it one of my classmates, one of our mutual friends, and I decided we were going to train for and run the Kentucky Derby Mini Marathon. We began training in January for the race that was the last week of April. We worked our butts off, got up at 5am to get our runs in, and completed all of our training runs (we used a training plan for novices on the race website). Our longest run was an 8 miler. What happened? Spring Break happened.
Spring break consisted of a whole lot of these. I don't remember much else (kidding... mostly). What I do remember was that it was H-O-T in Orlando and we all forfeited a week of training. When we made our return to reality, we were all burnt out and my friend found out she had a stress fracture. So what did we do? I hate to say the word, but we did. We quit.


Fast forward 2 years later to Summer of 2010. We are in Asheville and the way our jobs work we have a lot of days off during the week, AKA: I don't have kids to keep me busy, shopping everyday is seriously depleting my checkbook, and you can only watch so many episodes of Glee, Gilmore Girls, and One Tree Hill (to name a few). I also needed some motivation to workout, and having a "plan" that I can follow and check off as I go usually works really well for me. So I started training again. Once again I made it to my 8 mile long run... Then I quit. It's hard to put my finger on why I quit this time. I was training alone. In the heat of summer. I never actually signed up for a half so I wasn't excited or committed financially.


So yeah, I've been a quitter in the past, but I'm going to change that this time. I know I can make it to 8 miles, so there is no reason why I can't do it again. And I'm going to keep goint after the 8 so that I can run this half. That's where the blog comes in. I need YOU to hold me accountable. Because obviously I haven't been able to do it myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment