Sunday, June 12, 2011

Biltmore Baptist VBS 5K Hero Run

This weekend started out with a 5K race at my church. I wasn't expecting a whole lot, mostly because the point was to raise money for one of our missionary families that works with an orphanage in Haiti. 100% of the proceeds went to the orphanage. I thought it was a wondeful idea and I was really happy to be a part of it.

It was also great that I set a new PR! 31:37, shaved a whole minute off! I started strong and the first mile was actually right around a 9 minute mile. That's unheard of for me! Then I got hot and I got bored. The race was three laps around the church, and I'm not complaining, but midway through the second lap I got passed by the kid who won the race... A little depressing!

I walked some, but tried to keep it at a minimum. I also reaffirmed what I supsected:  It is not a good idea for me to drink the night before a race. I was super dehydrated. After the race we got free strawberry smoothies, delicious! I also grabbed a coupon for free chick-fil-a chicken minis for b-rad.

I'm hoping at some point to break 30 minutes this summer. I'm also hoping to run a full 5K at some time this year :)

2 comments: