Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Resolution for Women - A Preview!

On Wednesday I started reading a new book called 'The Resolution for Women,' by Priscilla Shirer. I'm only a few pages in but I really think it's going to be a really great book. I just have to share a few excerpts with you guys, because it really encouraged me and  I hope it'll do the same for you:

The book is obviously about making resolutions, more specifically the resolutions that God has for you. The author starts by saying that she wasn't much for resolutions and said the word even disturbs her a little.
"...I've made so many of these goals and promises before and haven't always followed through..."
"Fail enough times and you don't feel like trying again."
"Some of us, for our own varied reasons, ultimately decide they're not worth the effort."

These statements, especially the last one, really stuck with me and I spent a lot of the day going over it in my mind. I can really identify with that feeling of thinking you aren't worth the effort.

In January I was in a really crappy place as far as my weight went. I'd been there for awhile and unfortunately it had become the norm. I was running a lot, but I wasn't making the effort to clean up my diet. In my mind, I wasn't ready to make that commitment to change. 


"Right now - whether you realize it or not - you're choosing to treat people a certain way, to stay committed to certain activities, to live a certain life, to be a certain kind of person, to not be a certain kind of person. Either way, you've made a decision."
It's funny how right she is! I never though about it that way, but I was actively choosing to disregard my body.  Making a decision that I wasn't worth the work. I was afraid to make the decision to care because I didn't want to fail again.

If you want to do something, make the decision to DO IT rather than making the decision to not.You have to make a decision either way, why not make the one that ultimately makes you happy and a better person?

Do the work. You're worth it.

I'll share more as I continue to read :) Thanks for all your all's awesome encouragement throughout my weight loss journey so far, it really means the world for me!
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I like that. We are making decisions either way. We can choose the right one:) Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get this book because at this moment I am in so many areas feeling down and out, I need something to get me out of my funk and realize either way I am making a decision and really it could be a bad decision because I just give up and go with it. Ugh and really it all comes down to what I am making work and I think its not much.

    ReplyDelete